Facebook’s blood donation features make it easy for people to sign up as a blood donor on Facebook and get notified when organisations such as blood banks and hospitals need donors. Your organisation can sign up to create posts and events that quickly notify donors nearbyRegister Today
Facebook’s blood donation features make it easy for people to sign up as a blood donor on Facebook and get notified when organisations such as blood banks and hospitals need donors. Your organisation can sign up to create posts and events that quickly notify donors nearby
Making the blood donation process easier
Last October, we launched new blood donation features on Facebook to make it easier for people to sign up as blood donors, and for organisations such as blood banks to reach donors for blood camps and in times of need.
How it works:
- People sign up to be blood donors.
- Organisations create blood donation requests or camps.
- Facebook notifies nearby donors about camps or requests.
Over 8 million people have already signed up to be blood donors on Facebook.
*Source: Facebook, 15 May 2018
World Blood Donor Day
In honour of World Blood Donor Day, Facebook is partnering with organisations across India to help them recruit more blood donors and donations. To help raise awareness of the shortage and the need for donations, Facebook will be running a campaign through the month of June to encourage people to donate blood, share stories of people who have saved lives using these features, and educate people about the process of donating blood.
Across the globe, organisations are setting up blood donation camps from 14-30 June to take advantage of this campaign. By using Facebook’s new blood donation features, you can help raise blood donations during a traditionally slow season for donations.
How it works:
- Register your organisation.
- Create a blood donation camp on Facebook by 7 June. Set your event to happen between 14 and 30 June.
- Once you’ve created a blood donation camp, Facebook will notify nearby donors about your camp, whether they follow your Page or not. Over 8 million people have already signed up to be blood donors on Facebook.
- For this campaign, Facebook will be running ads and special messages to reach even more donors to make sure that people likely to donate know about the camps happening near them.
Blood donation events
Once you’ve created a Facebook Page and your organisation has been approved to request blood, your organisation can create a blood donation event. Blood donation events give organisations the ability to create events that automatically notify nearby Facebook blood donors.
How to create a blood donation event:
- From a desktop, click the Events tab in the left-hand side bookmarks.
- Click Create an Event.
- Add the event title, date, time and a short description.
- Set the location for your event.
- Upload an event cover photo (Ideally 1920 x 1080 pixels or larger with little or no text).
- Click Publish.
- Once you’ve created an event, Facebook will give you the option to turn it into a blood camp.
- Confirm the location of your event; use the map to indicate exactly where your event will take place.
- Based on your location, Facebook will notify matching blood donors in the area.
Blood donation requests
To make it easier for blood banks and hospitals to maintain a stable blood supply, they now have the ability to create requests for blood on their Facebook Page, helping them reach nearby donors on Facebook.
Admins of approved Pages can create a special type of post that includes where blood is needed, a contact method for donors and optional information such as the required blood type. People located nearby who have signed up as blood donors may receive a notification about the request and can easily respond if they are available to help.
Your Page must be approved to request blood. If your Page has not yet been approved, please submit an
1. Create post
- From Android app or mobile browser*.
- Go to Facebook and search “blood donors”.
- Tap Find Blood Donors.
2. Add details
- Write why you need blood donors.
- Under ‘Posting as’, select your Page.
- Select hospital location.
- Add contact information.
- Add blood type needed.
- Tap Post.
- Your request will post to News Feed and nearby
donors will be notified of your request.
*Currently not available on desktop
How to create a Facebook Page
If you do not have one already, your swill need a Facebook Page to utilise Facebook’s blood donation feature. Creating a Page takes a few minutes.
How to create a Facebook Page:
- Go to facebook.com/pages/create.
- Give your page a title (Organisation name).
- Select ‘Company & organisations’ as your Page type.
- Select your Page subcategory.
- Add a profile photo (Organisation’s logo).
- Add a cover photo that showcases your programmes (820 pixels wide by 312 pixels tall).
- Only official representatives can create a Page for an organisation, business, brand or public figure.
- You can access your Page from the left-hand bookmarks on your personal Profile.
- For further questions about creating a Facebook Page please visit the Facebook Help Centre.